We all want to get the most out of our skincare routine, that's a fact. Knowing what products work together, how they benefit your skin, and the order in which to use them is incredibly important.
Essential skincare products you need
The following components can create a good, effective skincare routine:
1. Cleanser: Wash your face gently with a product designed for your face. If you have dry skin, you’ll want to choose a cleanser that doesn’t have alcohol, and if you have oily skin, look for an oil-free cleanser. Wash twice a day, morning and night, to avoid clogged pores, dullness and acne.
2. Toner: A toner is used after washing your face. These thin liquids deliver an extra shot of nutrients, helping the other products in your regimen absorb better, while still balancing your complexion. There may also be certain ingredients added that you may not have in your other products. Here are some hero ingredients to look for:
- Alpha and beta hydroxy acids to gently remove dead skin cells that can clog pores, improve sun-damaged skin and minimize dullness.
- Hyaluronic acid to boost hydration, seal in dewiness and plump skin to subtly treat fine lines.
- Rose water and green tea to calm irritation and reduce redness with an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Vitamin E and C to fight daily exposure to free radicals that can age your skin.
3. Moisturizer: A moisturizer helps prevent water loss through the outer layers of the skin as the Essentiel Moisture Bundle you can find on MY BODHI, a moisturizer for women that provides potent nutrients every skin type needs to stay healthy and hydrated. Night cream for women focuses on repairing damage, with ingredients like retinol that speed up cell turnover and counteract dark spots. You can also mix essential oils for women such as frankincense, lavender oil, and myrrh oil or ylang ylang into the creams without any problems, as they are very mild and skin-friendly.
4. Sunscreen: Even if your moisturizer has a sunscreen, it can still help to use a separate sunscreen every day, even if it’s cloudy. Choose one that provides broad-spectrum protection and has an SPF of at least 30 like the Every Day Sun Shield at MY BODHI.
5. Exfoliator: Exfoliators are optional and can be used after a cleanser but before a moisturizer. They should only be used a maximum of once or twice a week.
6. Serum: A serum can help address specific issues. Here are some powerful skin allies:
- Hyaluronic acid to seal in hydration and strengthen the barrier function.
- Vitamin C to help brighten dull skin and decrease dark spots with continued use.
- Retinol, vitamin B3, peptides to stimulate the production of collagen and elastin.
- Colloidal sulfur, niacinamide to calm redness and irritation.
Why is skincare important for all skin types?
A good skincare routine is only as good as the products you use. While good quality products can help your skin look better now as well as in the future, poor quality products can be ineffective and even cause harm. Good skin care products for women are important for the following reasons:
- They help your skin stay in good condition: You’re shedding skin cells throughout the day, so it’s important to keep your skin glowing and in good condition.
- Your skin will look more youthful: As you age, your skin’s cells turn over more slowly. Using quality skin care products can help remove dead skin cells so your body will replace them with newer, more youthful cells.
- Prevention is easier than correction: Preventing skin problems is easier than trying to fix them in the future.
- Your self-confidence will get a boost: When your skin looks better, you’ll feel better about yourself and have more self-confidence.
Know your skin type
1. Oily Skin: Oily skin is characterized by a higher production of sebum, skin’s natural oil. This excess oiliness can make the skin appear shiny or greasy and is often accompanied by skin concerns like blackheads and enlarged pores.
2. Dry Skin: Dry skin doesn’t have enough oil. It may look dull or feel tight, while severe dryness can cause the skin to crack, flake, or peel.
3. Combination Skin: Combination skin is defined as skin that displays two or more defining characteristics in different areas. People with combination skin will have an oilier T-zone (forehead, nose, and chin), while their cheeks will be drier.
4. Sensitive Skin: Sensitive skin is characterized by a heightened sensitivity to stressors. Some people only experience mild irritation, while others struggle with redness, itching, and discomfort regularly.
Benefits of skincare
A good skincare routine helps a person’s skin to look more hydrated and also prevents wrinkles. Here are more benefits:
- A good skincare routine will reduce visible pores, wrinkles, and under-eye circles.
- Protection from harmful sun rays will prevent sun damage, blemishes, and hyperpigmentation.
- As the individual ages, the skin loses hydration, brightness, and collagen. A good skincare routine can leave skin looking healthier and younger.
- Over time, the skin naturally loses elasticity and can appear saggy and crepe-like. Proper skin care can restore firmness and even texture to the skin.
- A good skin care routine will protect from harmful bacteria and allergens, leaving the individual feeling and looking healthier.